Sunday, August 17, 2014

Body Sculpting Reality Check

I want to work out but I just don't want to lose my butt. I want a bigger butt. I only want to lose fat in certain parts on my body. I want arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Blah, blah, blah...... Sound familiar? Keep reading.

If I only had a nickel for every time I heard those statements. On average, women should have 21% to 30% body fat (not all on your butt), athletic women have a lot less, essentially 10% to about 14%. Ladies, I'm sorry to be the rain on your parade but contrary to popular belief, fat is not what makes a nice butt. Fat on your butt is a good foundation for nooks and crannies (the cellulite look), not nice. If you want a nice butt, lose the fat and I'll tell you how. I have had women tell me: "If I workout I will lose my butt." I can't stand for one to be cheated out of good health and ultimately more confidence because of ignorance regarding the body. I always make it a point to educate them. Check out women of fitness like my friends Jenny Lynn and Tammy Sue Polchlopek, they understand what fat does to a butt. Ladies of all ethnicity and cultures I stress this point; if you want a nice butt, LOSE-THE-FAT.

LOSING FAT ON YOUR BUTT
It's known in fitness that building muscle burns fat. With that said, your butt is a muscle, the glute muscle. You have the upper, major, and lower glute muscle fibers. I'll give you some example exercises of each.
  • 1. Squats (major glute) are the ultimate glute exercise. Just be sure to squeeze with every rep. Use this to form and plump the butt.
  • 2. Lunges (major glute) are just as effective as squats. 
  • 3. Kickbacks (upper glute) can be done on your knees or standing. Do these to lift the butt. 
  • 4. Pelvic Thrust (lower glute) is a very effective move you can do on your back with palms and feet flat on the floor. Use these to shape and round a sagging butt. With each exercise you want to make sure all the pressure is on your heels and you are squeezing your glutes at the end of the motion.
Your body will choose where it wants to burn fat. I know, it sucks right. Only if we could actually choose where we wanted our bodies to burn fat when we worked out. Perhaps sometime in the future that will be done with all the genetic altering going on but not now. So, here's the reality. It's all in your genes ladies and gentlemen. Some people try, try, and try again to get bigger arms (mostly men) or get an "hourglass" figure (ladies) only to fall short and give up all together. D
on't stress yourself on what your body is not capable of. Men, if your genetics dictate your biceps to not bulge, don't kill yourself lifting excessively heavy curl reps. You will get strong arms but naturally they will not bulge. You can try dropping a few pounds and building your triceps to enhance the definition and tone of your arms. Ladies, if your genetics dictate you have a straight waste line, then a straight waste line you will have naturally. You can do shoulder and lat workouts to enhance your curvature, however; your waste will still be the same.

WHAT' S YOUR BODY TYPE?  
Knowing this will save you stress. When you are more familiar with your body type you can then cater a specified fitness regimen and exercises to fit your particular body type. For instance:

  • 1. Ectomorph: Has always been slim no matter what they ate and barely worked out. They have a quick metabolism. Cardio would not be number one on their list. If this person wants to gain, large amounts of good calories and frequenting the gym should be priority. 
  • 2. Endomorph: Has always carried a greater percentage of body fat. Cardio would be number on this person's list. Cardio can also be achieved while performing circuit routines in the gym. This person should avoid fatty foods and concentrate on a very lean meal plan. 
  • 3. Mesomorph: Has has a muscular/lean physique. All those muscles tend to lead to poor flexibility if this person is not careful. Spend a great deal of time stretching before/after workouts, and during the week. 
I just gave you a quick intro to different body types. There are multiple combinations like mesoendomorph and so on. It would benefit you to research body types. 

As always, thank you for your time and for putting your health first.

No comments: