Monday, October 3, 2016

Mirror Watcher

Have you ever worked out and glanced up at the mirror and seen a person standing there semi-flexing and admiring themselves. I'm sure you have. They do it for about 1.5 minutes, do a set and admire themselves again....

Brian W. photo of The Roc
While warming up on a treadmill that sat in the back of the gym, I happened to see a guy killing about two minutes of his time discretely checking himself out in the mirror. I actually timed him. He would turn to the left and slightly flex his tricep. Then he slowly turned to the right and did the same thing. I guess he was satisfied because he jumped a little, just enough to bounce his chest and let his bowed arms swing loosely by his side. Only from the elbow down was swinging. His humorous stayed stiff as he puffed his lats to look bigger. I chucked. I could tell he had potential but this fellow had some work to do. Mirror watching wasn't helping.

Mirror watchers. I wonder what's going on in their minds. What are they looking for? What are they saying to themselves? Men, I have to call you out on this one. You are the only ones I see doing this. Here's some possible thoughts that may go through the mind of a mirror watcher:

1. Okay. I do a quick set to get a good pump. Now let me go the mirror to see what my arm looks like if it actually stayed this freakin pumped!

2. Okay. I'm seeing a little something. Looking good, good looking.

3. I'll just stand here and swing my arms back and forth because I like the way they don't touch my sides due to the massive size of my lats. Yeah baby! Get some! 

Paul O. Personal Trainer
Don't get me wrong. I look in the mirror too but there's a distinct difference between looking at yourself and gawking over yourself. The mirror, in my humble opinion, is used for critiquing your form as you lift. For instance, you will actually see if your back is not straight enough or if you need to extend your arm for a better contraction. People in the gym do watch each other and trust me, we do laugh. DOn't be surprised to see your video on YouTube, SnapChat, or a picture on Pintrest. Just saying; LOL!
It's necessary to flex as a bodybuilder once told me. You can then see what needs to be defined and targeted. But there is a time and place to do that. Save the on-the-floor flexing for one of those hard-core gyms where they still have the neck machine or just flex in locker room if you're in YouFit, LA/Fitness, Planet Fitness, or any non-intimidating gyms. Watch the mirror with purpose, not just to satisfy your ego big dog.

As always, thank you for your time and for putting your health first.



No comments: