Thursday, May 18, 2017

My Meal Prep.

Many of us think that meal prepping is time consuming, tedious, and just plain boring. I used to be the same way but as they say, don't knock it until you try it.


When it comes to meal prepping you can really get as creative as you want so it doesn't have to be boring. You can have all the small containers with condiments, nuts, chopped fruits or whatever floats your boat. Quite frankly, prepping like that would drive me absolutely nuts and I probably say the heck with it. That's why I don't prep like that. Some of you may like that way and have the time to cook all of the food and pack small containers. I wish I had your discipline. If so, my meals wouldn't be so boring. But boring works for me.

The main ingredient in my meal prep is chicken! Lots and lots of chicken. I cook a family pack of chicken breast every Sunday. That is an absolute must. I don't go crazy on the seasoning, just sea salt, pepper, or honey, herbs, or bbq sauce sometimes. It all
depends on how bored I get. The pack of chicken lasts one week. Some of the breasts are big enough to cut in half for two meals in a day. A good friend, fellow Delta Mu Delta brother, and chef, Jahmari Potter gave me a great tip for making the chicken breast super moist. Heat the oven to 350 degrees, cook breast covered for about 30 minutes, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes until the tops slightly browned. Simple right.
I also bake five or six sweet potatoes depending on the size. That's the only cooking I do. Why? Because I like to keep it simple. I try to incorporate most of the food groups with the exception of cheese. That's just my preference to not eat that stuff, red meat, or drink cows milk. Kale is my favorite go-to for greens. You can pick up a big bag for about $3 at your grocer. I like to eat my veggies uncooked for the most part. I also have fruits for my snacks like those little red bananas you see in the picture. They're not rotten lol! That's my basic prep.

See! It's really not as time consuming as you thought. I didn't like it at first and I think there because I had a typical lunch bag - square with a cool pack. Now I love prepping and I think that is due to getting a meal bag like the one you see in the picture. That has made prepping much easier and organized. Additionally, it keeps your from making insane decisions when hit with a fully grown hunger attack like going to the nearest fat food restaurant or snack machine to grab the biggest pastry, which would be a honey bun or bear claw, with the clouded assumption that it will keep your hunger at bay in enough time to regain your sanity....deep breath...I digress. My meal bag has also kept my weight in the maintenance 200's because of what I pack. I also picked up my cardio recently. Before my meal prep bag I hovered around the 185 to 190 pound range. I eat six to eight times per day and have two protein shakes as well. I hope this helps you on your journey to better health.


As always, thank you for your time and for putting your health first. 

No comments: