Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Big Dog Status!

It took a long time to get there. We all had to learn one way or another through sweat and pain. But we hung in there and it shows. This is a dedication to all my BIG DOGS in the gym and the stories on how it all happened.

We all had to start from somewhere in our workout life. Some, like me, started out on a muscle gain mission. I just wanted to get jacked! In my early 20's my best good friend and I would work out every day but Sunday for two hours on one body part. When we first started I weighed 165 lbs and struggled to benching 135 lbs. I laugh now. The struggle was real people but persistence paid off. Here's what we did:
6 sets/2x10, 2x8, 2x6 reps of every exercise.
  • Monday: Chest
    • incline, decline, flat bench, dumbbell peck decks, and pushups, machine butterflys
  •  Tuesday: Back
    • Bent over rows, lat pull downs, reverse grip rows, seated rows, reverse butterflys
  • Wednesday: Shoulders
    •  dumbbell lateral raise, military press machine, dumbbell frontal raise
  • Thursday: Arms
    • dumbbell curls (of all sorts) dumbbell kick backs, close grip bench, dips, preacher curls
  • Friday: Legs
    • Squat, leg extension, leg curl, calf raises, push press
  • Saturday: Cardio
    • We ran 2.5 to 3 miles

Hindsight is 20/20 right. Looking back at that routine, it was far from strategic and delivered with no knowledge of the body or fitness at all. I just wanted to get big and so did my friend. I know better now. But that got the job done. Our bodies responded amazingly! I put on 20 lbs of lean weight and muscle. Mind you, at the time we were working at Carrabbas so the pasta and bread were endless and we had our share lol! I went from 165 to a lean and mean 185. My bench went from barely benching 135 to maxing out at a whopping 405 lbs! I was the smallest yet strongest guy in the Iron Pit gym in Cocoa -a true sweat box. Man I miss that gym! #nostalgia. I had gotten stronger than my friend. One day it happened. I noticed people started calling me by a name not of my own. I had finally made it to BIG DOG status!

So for all of you, ladies and men, who have taken that first step toward better fitness, for all of you who have gotten body-changing results as a result of your hard work and dedication, for all of you of you who have achieved "Big Dog" status! This is a shout out to you! NOW GO HIT IT HARD!!!!!!

As always, thank you for your time and for putting your health first.

No comments: