Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Clean That Plate!

Those words still vividly reverberate in my sub-conscience whenever I get a plate of food. If those words sound familiar to you, then you have had the same conditioning as a great majority of Americans.

It was usually my mother who mainly said "make sure you clean your plate." My father was like, "let em go to bed hungry, he'll learn." Well, needless to say I got wise quickly and ate my food eventually. That was my upbringing for several years of my life probably like many of you. Let me know in the comments if you agree that with that particular conditioning, seeing a plate of food and finishing it is a challenge. No matter how full you are that plate must be cleaned.
Don't get me wrong, I understand what parents wanted to emphasize: appreciation for a meal. Well, it worked! A little too well in some cases. In 2010 the average American's waste line measured in the high 30's to low 40's! Yes, be shocked. The "American way of eating" has now infected the world. Now obesity is on the rise in countries that have taken on our western way of dining. Something must change.
Actions proceed thoughts. If we change the way we have been conditioned to eat, I think that would have a huge impact of the waste line of America. YOU DON'T HAVE TO EAT THE WHOLE PLATE OF FOOD. Take the average eight inch plate and pile it high with food. That's about three to five puonds of food give or take and a side of thunder thighs! Constantly eating like will be detrimental to your health even if it is a salad, sorry.

Here's what I suggest:
1. Put less food on your plate.
2. Use a smaller plate.
3. Eat until you're not hungry.
4. Drink a glass of water before you eat.
5. Eat slowly to give your brain time to register being full.
6. Eat a lot less chemically addicting foods like the ones with artificial flavors and colors, high fructose cornsyrup, additives, preservatives, etc.

My heart goes out to those who suffer from medical conditions which causes excessive weight gain or weight loss. Just know that there is a way so don't give up and keep your health first.

As always, thank you for your time and for putting your health first.

No comments: